Monday, May 4, 2009

Ordinary Shenanigans

Nothing special to report other than that I didn't actually take last week off, as I'd planned. I kept asking myself, 'well, what would you like to do?' and the answer kept coming back, 'work!' The good news, of course, is that what I call work is generally a lot of fun. So I went to some concerts and rehearsals and made the rounds of ud luthiers (helping Wim of Belgium get all the details right on his order with Mustafa hoca). Recorded eight more taksim-s for a total of 53 so far (but most of those without their players' analyses, yet). Pored through some Turkish music theory books. Lined up the special clothing for next week's Mevlevi sema ('whirling') ceremony. Yep.

But today was pretty vacation-ey and since I'll have a guest from Santa Barbara for the next couple of days it looks as though this week will be the Spring Break I've been hoping for. Today made the new main graphic for this blog and changed the color scheme (not in love with the options, but this is probably better than the grey - though that was good enough for winter). Anyway, just writing to say hi... I'll ask some of the artists I've been recording if they wouldn't mind my putting up some short recordings here, so you can see what we've all been up to.

Finally - continuing to find links of things Turkish that I can't really get you directly - I recommend James Meyer's blog for insightful analysis of political happenings around here. Enjoy! Back soon.

No comments: